4h30min cooking time .
Pulled Brisket Sandwich
Chef Tom grabs a small brisket flat from the grocery store and cooks up some pulled brisket sandwiches with pickled red onions and a scratch made aioli.
- 3 lb brisket roast
- 1 Plowboys BBQ Bovine Bold Rub
- 1 Smoke on Wheels Bootleg Bourbon Infused BBQ Sauce
- 4 Burger Buns
- 1 Jalapeño mustard aioli:
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic
- 2 tbsp Kansas Flavor Jalapeño Mustard
- 1 Quick pickled onions:
- 1 red onion, sliced thin
- 1/4 cup water plus more for boiling
- 1/4 cup White Wine Vinegar
- 1 0.5 tsp pickling salt
- To make the jalapeño mustard aioli, first, place the garlic clove and oil in a small skillet.
- Over low heat, roast the cloves until tender and golden brown. Strain the oil and cool to room temperature.
- Mince the roasted garlic. Next, place the egg yolk in a small food processor or blender with the lemon juice. Turn the machine on and slowly drizzle in the oil, until fully incorporated and the mixture is thickened.
- Add the minced, roasted garlic and Kansas Flavor Jalapeño Mustard. Store in the refrigerator for up to two weeks.
- To make the quick pickled onions, bring a pot of water to a boil. Place the sliced red onions in a heatproof bowl. Pour the boiling water over the onions. Let sit for one minute. Strain. Discard the water.
- Place the onions in a pint-sized mason jar. Combine the 3/4 cup water, vinegar and pickling salt.
- Whisk to dissolve the salt. Pour over the onions in the jar and store in the refrigerator for up to two weeks. The onions will be ready to eat after a couple of hours, but best overnight.
- To make the brisket, first, build a charcoal fire in the Kamado Joe Classic Joe II Ceramic Grill and set it up for smoking/indirect grilling.
- Stabilize the temperature to 275 F.
- Add a few chunks of your favorite smoking wood, for smoke flavor.
- Trim the brisket fat cap down to about 1/4 inch. Season with Plowboys BBQ Bovine Bold Rub. Let the rub set up for about 5 minutes.
- Smoke for about 3.5 hours until the color on the outside is a nice dark red/brown color.
- Remove from the grill and wrap in foil. Return to the grill and continue cooking until the internal temperature reaches 205ºF-210ºF, and the meat is tender enough to shred.
- Shred/chop the meat and toss it in the juices in the foil. Add Smoke on Wheels Bootleg Bourbon Infused BBQ Sauce. Taste and add more, as desired.
- Toast the burger buns. Spread the aioli on the bottom bun. Top with the brisket. Add the pickled onions and top bun.